Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Calling all theorists

My cohort and I are revising the reading lists for our qualifying exams for planning and public policy. I know some people on this list are in joint planning/policy programs as well. I thought this might be a good forum to share reading lists with one another and get a sense of similarities and differences in thought across programs.

Rutgers' PhD reading lists (currently under revision by us) are available on the web.

We've realized that our lists are light in policy theory, a remanent of the merger of the two programs. That's why we're looking to accomplish two tasks:

1) add significant policy theory texts to the list
2) revise the planning and social theory list, particularly the former, to include more contemporary and diverse material.

I would appreciate if any of you would be willing to share your input with us. We'd be happy to share the results with you.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Nick-

I would be interested in seeing what your group comes up with. You might want to check out this paper:

Donaghy, K.P. and Hopkins, L.D., 2006, "A Coherentist Approach to Planning Theories is Possible and Useful," Planning Theory, 5: 173-202.

Kieran Donaghy was teaching our planning theory course here at Illinois while he and Lew were developing this paper. It might be a good addition to broaden what you have compiled so far.

I'd foward my own reading list, but it was so focused on design theory that I'm not sure it would be useful...